Because of the rain, our arrival to manila was slightly
delayed. The customs area was packed but when through relatively quick (at least
quicker then MX). The customs officer barely
asked us any questions. The only hiccup was that no one told us we needed a
disembarkation card for each person so Jay track another one down. It would make too much sense to have extras at the customs counters.
Not much else to say about our arrival. My first thoughts were:
“damn, I forgot about that smell, it's hot and fuck it's crowded”. I guess I
don't ever forget those things, but no way to be ready for it again. And not necessary that its a bad smell..it's just distinctive.
We got to Milennia hotel around midnight, hung out with cousins and
fell asleep around 230 or 3. But then woke
up again at 6:30 =/
On the first real day, Jay and I both woke up early and
started finding ways to kill time. We tried to check in but the staff wanted to
charge us an early check in fee. We asked if we can upgrade our room, but they
did not know how to do it. Pretty much, the hotel staff was severely
incompotent but more on that later.
Since we couldn't check in, Jay and I ventured out looking
for a bank and a place to eat breakfast. We tried McDonalds but they didn't
take card or US cash and I didn't have enough pesos on me. We ended up wandering in the Richmonde hotel
for their breakfast buffet . Best thing in the buffet was the tocino and fried
rice. I had sunny side egg with it, but it wasn't as good as Auntie Margie's
(which are pretty darn perfect – I just wished I was clearheaded enough on
Sunday to tell her, but I wasn't).
After finding a bank we headed back to Pia's room to kill
time until we could check in. When we finally get the room, Jay and I quickly
unpack so I can get ready for the dress fitting. There were no irons in the
rooms so I tried to get everything hung.
After my shower, some guy opens the door to our room. Surprised to see me, he quickly closes the
door. I went to go talk to him and learned that we were in his room - he
recently transferred to an apartment, but he had prepaid for the room until the
following day. He told me he'd go down to yell at the staff for giving away a
room he already paid for. Jay went to yell at them for giving us a room that
someone else had access to. Their response was that their system showed that are only 2 active
keys to the room. Which is really the wrong thing to tell your customers as it
just shows that your whole security system is inaccurate and worthless. I mean,
obviously, your system is wrong and broken.
The only action they took to remedy the situation was to
inconvenience us even further and move us to another room. Nothing was done to
placate disappointed and dissatified customers.
The manager did not even step up to claim responsibility or apologize
for their mistake.
Aside from that, the hotel fails in general. There's no hair dryers or irons in the room.
I've always assumed those to be standard hotel room amenities. We called the
front desk to borrow an iron but was told it was unavailable. We later found
out that the hotel iron was in Pia's room..I'm thinking it's highly possible that
there's only 1 iron in the hole building.
But there might as well not be any as it did little to get wrinkles anyone's clothes.
Outside the hotel, the day was great! The fitting went well.
The dresses were really pretty and both Pia and I had to have our dresses taken
in =) Stella looked adorable in her dress; she looked like the cutest little
doll. Shiel's dress was beautiful with TONS of handsewn beading!
Heading back to the hotel we hit traffic..Manila traffic
sucks. There's no other way to describe it.
When I get back the hotel, I learn my key doesn't work. Yup, another hotel fail. I really don't expect them to get anything right
anymore. But Jay brightened my day by
getting me pink roses for Vday. And since I couldn't get access a vase, I
pressed one of the roses. Hope it survives our trip home.
Apparently, Vday is a big in PI. There's chocolates, flowers
and red stuff all over the malls. People walking around with flowers and
stuffed toys everywhere.
The 8 of us had dinner reservations at the Chateau in GB5 and
of course, we hit traffic on the way there..somehow, we actually we made it to
our reservation on time! When we arrive, the staff pretty much lined up to
greet us as we were led into a private room. Its nice to eat with the owner's
godkids =p Even got a comped bottle of wine.
It was a Pre Fixe menu that included: Smoked Salmon + Capers, Mushroom Soup + Ravioli, Salmon + Risotto, Steak, and Chocolate Meringue Cake.
By the end of the night we were all convinced that Filos put
something in their food because we were all ready to pass out after dinner.


No comments:
Post a Comment