Saturday, February 25, 2012

OTW to Cali! (backtracking =p)

We're Heeerre I've got to say, that was probably one of the most uncomfortable flights I've been on. No wait, I take that back. The most uncomfortable flight was when in high school, when I slipped on a waterslide and landed on my butt bone. The following day I sat through about a 12+ hr flight to Hawaii (from PI). My back ached the whole time. But that was from my own careless (I mean the hotel folks did put up a sign tell me walk slowly as it's slippery). This flight just has super uncomfortable seats. First off, the next pillow/support is way too high for a short girl like me. So instead of it supporting my neck, all it does is push my head forward out of neutral position. Not very ergonomic. I woke up with the worst crick in my neck. My back also hurts. I blame on the neck pillow issue as well. I'm worried about the next leg of the trip now. I think I'll have to purchase a neck pillow (along with the eye mask I couldn't find) and ask the flight attendants for extra pillows for my back so I get better support. Speaking of flight attendants, when we first boarded, the lady behind me asks one of the flight attendant if she can help her put her bag in the overhead. The flight attendant said “No”. As we're flying out of NY, I thought maybe she was kidding or being sarcastic. But the attendant proceeds to explain, that they are not permitted to help passengers put carryons in the overhead bins because if they get hurt then their out of a job. The lady then apologizes to the attendant and proceeds to place her luggage herself. Now, I understand issues with employee safety and compensibililty but I've always thought attendants were there to assist passengers. I mean, isn't that why there's a call button on every seat? If I was that woman, I'd be pissed (and frankly, I'm a little pissed for her). I'm short, and depending on the plane, I have trouble getting the carryon in the overhead without climbing on the seats abit. Do they really want passengers climbing on seats? That doesn't sound safe either. I'm sure that if passengers and employee lifted the bag together, and shared the load chances of injury to either party would be less. Idk, I just feel like the physical ability to lift the weight of a carryon should be part of the job description. Next thing you know, the cargo handlers will begin telling us we have to load our own luggage on the plane because they can't risk getting injured. And speaking of carryons – we had to check ours in as it was to wide for the overhead bin. It does meet their size requirement and we have carried it on before. We just didn't expect the tiny bins. Now I have to consider weather or not I should switch carryon bags … I'm assuming the international flight will be larger and with larger bins. I guess I've got some homework to do tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment