Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sheridan Spa and Resort + Palawan in General

So my days of Palawan blend together, so I thought I'd write my thoughts about the hotel and Palawan in general instead of describing our daily activities (because basically we played in the pool all day, everyday).

Overall the hotel fails (even if you don't consider the lack of electricity).
  • Like I said, on the first day, they pushed the 2 beds together leaving the phone in the middle.
  • There supposed garden view is a view of the wall if you're lucky or a view to someone else's shack and generator if you're not so lucky.
  • No where on the website did it tell you that the complimentary transportation to the hotel would take 2 hours.
  • No one called ahead of time to inform us there were problems at the hotel.  Even the shuttle drive kept his mouth shut and gave us no warning.
  • There weren't enough beach chairs - there were probably only 12 chairs around the pool.
  • The restaurant staff is POORLY trained in management.
    • Half the time they didn't have what was on the menu.
    • They would forget you. They would forget to refill your water even if you ask or bring condiments or sides.
    • Almost every time, our order took over 30-45 minutes, even if it was just a sandwich. Twice, I fell asleep waiting for food.  We eventually learned to place an order and then come back in 30 minutes.
    • They wouldn't bring orders together. One time I didn't get my meal until everyone else already finished eating.
    • They don't know how to compensate for the inconveniences they cause you. The day we went to the Underground River, we could not eat lunch because because after 45 minutes of waiting our food was still not ready. We could not wait any longer as we had an appt. The waiter apologized for the wait but still made us pay for our drinks =p I don't think they understood that wait time is unacceptable.
    • The OK workers were the ones at the pool bar..but even then, there wasn't always a bartender. We'd have to ask for a bartender.
Palawan is just OK. I don't know about the rest of Palawan (outside of Puerto Princesa) but the beach isn't that great. I'd actually rather be at the Jersey shore. =p The sand wasn't white or soft. There were dogs and caribou running (and pooping) all over the beach. There were even trucks driving through. So that beach is definitely not a relaxing paradise.

The underground river is nothing more than a cave. If you've seen one already just image that with water instead of a floor.  I don't think the tour guide was at all informative. All he would tell us is what the formations looked like...which is highly subjective and I didn't see some of it. Wish it could have been more informative, such as describing how the cavern formed in the first place. Ohhh best part, the battery used to power the light was a car battery. The person in front would have to attach the thing to complete the circuit. Yup all very safe =p.


And now that I'm done complaining ...
It wasn't ALL bad. But the good parts were cuz of the family. Playing in the pool all day and drinking at the pool bar was tons of fun.
And so were the ATV rides....even though Jay and I kept getting stuck in the mud. We did the ATV course, then the guide led us somewhere where we can see the mountain that the underground river runs under (I think). And another mountain that has the birds that make the super expensive and edible birds nest. So that one is protected by rangers.
On the way to the mountain, we passed by puppies playing with a piglet..but I was only able to snap a pic of the puppies as I was too scared to take a pic with both hands while on the ATV bike.
We almost made it to the entire tour without incident. On the way back to the resort, Miguel's clutch broke. The guide said it was alright and kept going =p And it must have been ok since we all made it back safely =). Lol - if anyone else remembers anything else from Palawan, please remind me =p


No comments:

Post a Comment